An Integrative Analytical – Experiental Methodology
The Experiential Analytical method, used by the IPITIA team, synthesizes different psychological lines with the aim of activating the person’s primary drives, focusing on life challenges that the person, through their own will and authentic desire, must try to achieve as an optimal and necessary way to overcome fears and insecurities.
This method seeks to awaken life and direct it towards specific elements that generate enough motivation, passion, and synergy to activate the biological mechanisms that allow the realignment of the nervous system.
In this way, the patient gradually replaces fear with courage, reasoning with instinct, thought with action, and, ultimately, inhibition with life. When this happens, the anxiety responsible for obsessions and compulsions disappears, which decreases in number and intensity, until, in many cases, complete healing is achieved.
Why we use an Analytical-Experiential method
The theoretical background of our method lies fundamentally in Etiology (the study of animal behavior) and the Analytical Psychology of Carl Gustav Jung.
We humans share about 98% of our DNA with monkeys, and once we forget that our nature is principally that of an animal is when we start to suffer. People who suffer from obsessions have a logos that is excessively dominant over there drives, that is, they lost their instinct. They think life instead of living it. To recuperate their instincts and drives is one of the ground principals of the methodology and is the base of its efficacy.
However, we cannot forget that every case is different, that every patient has a history which also influences his unconscious mind on a symbolic level. For this reason we also explore the personality of the person in a very profound way, using the tools from Analytical Psychology, with the objective of discovering which aspects of their personality haven’t been able to fully develop itself and are begging for a place in the person’s life.
This is an Analytical-Experiential method because it uses profoundness of analytical therapy in order to bring the patient to the terrain of real-life experiences from the very first session. In other words: understanding the person in order to know how to help them to lose their fear and recuperate their instinct through real-life experiences.
Our vision on OCD
It is true that OCD manifests itself through obsessions (intrusive, repetitive unwanted thoughts) and compulsions (mental or physical rituals, carried out with the goal of reducing the anxiety generated by the obsessions). However, we believe firmly that it is not effective to simply focus on the symptoms of OCD. We consider that OCD consists of way more than just that.
Very few sources comment on the personality and past experiences of the person who suffers from OCD, and if they do, they usually refer to it as a kind of secondary effect of the disorder, which would simply lead to a little specified rigidness and need for control.
Nevertheless, people who suffer from obsessions know that there are many more aspects of the personality that have been inhibited and repressed over time. They also know that their fear is not only directly related to the content of the obsessions but also to many other areas of their life. We consider that the lack of a full, passionate and fearless life is not just the consequence of OCD, but one of its causes. To help people to recuperate their essence and life makes them lose their fear and in turn their obsessions and compulsions which will start to dissolve as a consequence.
What will the therapy be like?
The method doesn’t follow a strict protocol. We consider that it’s extremely important to personalize the therapy process and to break with the established limits and protocols, which don’t do more than to reproduce the same rigid patterns that characterize obsessive disorders.
However, we employ tools and establish goals as a fundamental part of the therapy. These tools and goals are the base of the efficacy of the treatment:
- We dedicate the first individual sessions (face-to-face or online) to identifying the problem with a clear diagnose, its causes, the inhibited areas, the aspects of the personality that have been repressed and are currently causing the anxiety which is responsible for the obsessions and compulsions.
- We start to unblock this trapped anxiety through specific Drive and Activation exercises, both in and outside of the session, with the goal of activating the individual’s biology, which we refer to as instinct.
- The therapist and patient agree on external activities which form a fundamental part of the therapy.
- We will work on those aspects that we previously identified as blocked or underdeveloped (firmness, decisiveness, sexuality, sensuality, creativity…) through a big variety of stimuli and exercises proposed by the therapist.
- We recommend our patients to participate in our monthly weekend Workouts, to face their fears in an innovative, bold and effective way.
- We set vital life goals with the person and we help them to reach them (PPT), so that the anxiety and energy will be canalized into passionate objectives, thereby avoiding the repetitive thoughts and behavior more and more.
- The person faces their obsessive fears and overcomes them through a change in lifestyle that allows him to activate and focus their drives towards goals and real experiences.
Nevertheless, every case is unique and requires personalized attention. That’s why our therapists use the tools of the method in the way that best adapts to each specific person.
The method has shown to reduce symptoms in a satisfactory way or even completely in a high number of cases.
The therapy has an average duration of anywhere between 6 and 24 months, depending on the case, the age of the patient, the evolution of the disorder, and moreover the motivation of the patient.
The motivation of the psychologists of IPITIA during the therapeutic process is extraordinary, and is not limited to simple dialogues between logos. However, we ask a lot from our patients: curing an obsessive disorder requires profound changes in the life of the patient, and therefore a high level of motivation and braveness.
Other therapeutical modalities
For those people who want to confront their OCD in a radical and conclusive way to get a head start in their curing process.
Where patients face their fears and inhibitions in a different and innovative way. It is a warm environment, yet intense
An effective modality aimed at people, who for work reasons, place of residence or other, cannot come to our center
Face to Face Therapy
face to face therapy
From the start we work on lowering anxiety levels, so that your obsessions and compulsions become less frequent